Re: Help hyperlinks only work when auto-compression-mode is enabled.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Help hyperlinks only work when auto-compression-mode is enabled.
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:50:46 -0400

    The only way to uncompress _only_ the emacs sources ...

I don't think we need to make it a goal to uncompress _only_ the Emacs
sources.

    We either decide that that <CR> will ALWAYS find compressed files in
    that context, or we accept the hit with C-h f and disabled a-c-m.

I think the former is a fine choice, and changing find-func is a fine
implementation.

    I think the best thing is NOT to compress our source files with "make
    install".  The compressed lisp directory contains 9.5 Mb of .el.gz
    files.  Uncompressed, it's a bit around 38.5 Mb.  This saving of ~30 Mb
    doesn't seem worth the hassle it causes.

It is not a lot of hassle, and 38mb is still significant.

How about making the fix in find-func?