Re: memory usage

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: memory usage
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:12:42 +0200

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:21:30 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>       But I should
>     also continue using the 6/3 build to see if I get a repetition of the
>     usage I reported, since as I said, it hasn't happened consistently.
>
> How many times has it happened?

Prior to my post on Monday I didn't notice such a heightened memory
usage, though I cannot swear it didn't occur.  Since the release of
Emacs 22.1 and my latest CVS update a day later I've been alternating
between them.  With 22.1 I haven't experience an inordinate memory
consumption.  On Wednesday with the CVS build the memory consumption
was also not as high as on Monday.  But today I was using the CVS
build again and it used a lot of swap in particular, though resident
memory consumption was less than in my OP; when I killed the session
about half an hour ago, Emacs seemed somewhat sluggish and top
reported this:

 PID %MEM  VIRT SWAP  RES CODE DATA  SHR nFLT nDRT S  PR  NI %CPU COMMAND
 4734 29.3  707m 560m 147m 1476 686m 6932  22k    0 S  16   0  0.0 emacs

Compare this to what I reported on Monday:

  PID %MEM  VIRT SWAP  RES CODE DATA  SHR nFLT nDRT S  PR  NI %CPU COMMAND
 4707 54.5  623m 349m 274m 1476 602m 8336 8928    0 S  17   0  0.0 emacs

Today's CVS Emacs session ran for 14 hours, Monday's ran for 13+
hours, while on Wednesday I had two sessions of about three and a half
and 8+ hours.  I didn't notice whether the memory consumption today
and on Monday started increasing more rapidly after eight or nine
hours.  The next time I'll try to track it more closely.

Steve Berman