Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:22:03 -0400

    I think the general situation is this. It's easiest to follow if you think
    of pop-up-frames being non-nil, with a standalone minibuffer.

    1. You invoke a multi-command.

    2. You use `C-RET' on candidates. Each action might pop up a buffer in a
    different frame, giving it the focus - which is what you want in this case
    (often).

    3. If you use C-g, then you typically want to return to the original
    buffer/frame.

    4. You hit RET to finally choose a buffer/frame. You typically want the
    focus to end up there.

It seems straightforward to implement that.  You make the command
switch to the new frame, and we just have to make sure C-g goes back
to the original frame.

    I sometimes need to put a `select-frame-set-input-focus' in the action
    function, either to force the focus to a frame associated with the current
    candidate or, on the contrary (and more typically), to force the focus to
    the minibuffer in preparation for another `C-RET'.

With my approach, the minibuffer mechanism will put the focus on the
minibuffer each time it is reentered.

    > It would be
    > quite clean.  Fcall_interactively just has to bind a certain variable
    > to nil, which holds a list of completion alternatives to exclude.
    > display-completion-list will ignore the alternatives in this list.
    > Then, each time around Fcall_interactively adds the proper argument
    > value to this list.

    But would the value still really be one of the possible completions, so that
    if you hit TAB or S-TAB again during the same invocation of
    `completing-read' it would show up again?

Right.  It would still be in the completion list, but it would
be excluded from buffers that show the completions.

    See above: the doc is all in files icicles-doc1.el and icicles-doc2.el. Do
    you need me to email you the source files, or can you get them from Emacs
    wiki?

Can you email me just the relevant documentation from those files?