Re: Don't concat directories to file names

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Don't concat directories to file names
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:40:13 +0200

On 6/15/07, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

Indeed.  Please: could someone do that?

I'll do, but lest first decide whether to add the new function,
because then many uses of `user-(init|emacs)-directory' will
disappear.

It should be fixed.  We should be careful to make it work with or without
a terminating / since it can be set by the user.  If we systematically use
it with expand-file-name, this will work automatically.

Yes, that's what the-function-with-no-name-yet does.

If we rename the variable to user-init-directory, then the function should
probably be called user-init-file.

Too confusing, I think:

 user-init-file is a variable defined in `C source code'.
 Its value is
 "c:/usr/home/.emacs.d/init.el"

 Documentation:
 File name, including directory, of user's initialization file. [...]

In most places that introduced the ~/.emacs.d thingy, they typically first
check ~/.emacs.d/TOTO then ~/.TOTO and if neither is present return
~/.emacs.d/TOTO.

That's what the proposed function does, with the following differences:

- It checks for ~/.TOTO before trying ~/.emacs.d/TOTO
- It skips ~/.emacs.d/ altogether if the user explicitly sets
`user-emacs-directory' to nil.
- It allows using TATA instead of TOTO in ~/.emacs.d/. The reason is
that things like .emacs-places seem ridiculous under ~/.emacs.d/; it's
better ~/.emacs.d/places than ~/.emacs.d/emacs-places.
- It creates ~/.emacs.d/ when necessary (if ~/.TOTO does not exist, of course).

Is there something you feel should be different?

            Juanma