Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:35:37 +1200

 > > >     No matter which route we take, it would be nice to have some sense
 > > >     of direction for Emacs 23.  Jay Belanger recently posted a message
 > > >     asking about the policy for trunk development; I, too, would like to
 > > >     know the answer to this.
 > > >
 > > > I said weeks ago people can install new features in the trunk now.
 > > > What uncertainty remains?
 >
 > > Did you mean, everything except the unicode code?
 >
 > Please postpone installing heavy changes of C code
 > (including cosmetic ones) until emacs-unicode-2 is merged
 > into the trunk unless you take care of the confliction
 > caused by the merging of them into emacs-unicode-2 branch
 > (that merging is done periodically).  You also have to take
 > care of new codes added in emacs-unicode-2 if the change
 > must be applied to many files systematically.

Surely emacs-unicode-2 should be the _next_ thing to be merged to the trunk, if
only because it's existed as a branch for three years now (multi-tty is a
relative newcomer on that basis).  It seems unreasonable, to me, to expect
Kenichi to merge changes indefinitely.

I don't think there are enough resources to keep maintaining all these
different branches for very long.  In any case, it must be quite likely that
there will just be bugfix-like releases from EMACS_22_BASE (just as there were
from EMACS_21_1_RC).

And let's make that merge now, before we slip (further) into oblivion.

--
Nick                                            http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob