Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:18:22 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <address@hidden> writes:
>> It seems that it would be useful to provide very soon accessor functions
>> or macros for performing all environment-related operations that allow
>> for the desired genericity in implementation choice.
>
> It seems a bit hard to be sufficiently generic to accomodate _all_ the
> discussed possiblities without a rather awkward interface, mostly
> because of the question of what happens when you let-bind
> process-environment.
>
> Given that the current interface (without multi-tty) is actually quite
> convenient and elegant, I'd rather prefer we aim at preserving it even
> with multi-tty.

Well, it is not as much an interface rather than exposed internals.
There is no reason, for example, that one needs to write

(let ((process-environment (copy-sequence process-environment)))
  (setenv ...
)

rather than

(with-local-environment
  (setenv ...
)

However, designing, implementing and _mandating_ something like the
latter takes time and several releases.

--
David Kastrup