Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:57:35 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I think the right way to do it is to change the multi-tty code's handling of
> environment so that it preserves the old behavior (and probably breaks
> some of the multi-tty support), then merge into the trunk, then try and fix
> the multi-tty part of the breakage.

I'm not sure exactly what the current breakage is, and why it is a
problem, but there are a number of environment variables that have come
up in this discussion that there is general agreement that they should
be terminal local (DISPLAY, TERM). So it isn't a binary issue - whether
the environment should be terminal/frame local or not, we are going to
have to deal with the issues for these two variables anyway. Given that,
and the strong opinions of some that the environment should not be
terminal local, can we not have a user configurable option for this?

I'd suggest the following user option:

terminal-local-environment

   nil means the environment is not terminal local (what we have in
Emacs 22)
   t means all the environment is terminal local (what is implemented in
multi-tty currently)
   A cons cell is a list of environment variables that should be treated
as terminal local.

   default value can be '("DISPLAY" "TERM").