Re: A few questions about desktop.el

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: A few questions about desktop.el
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:17:02 -0700 (PDT)

> What happened to this patch to add sort-of-file-locking to desktop.el?

As far as I know, nothing has been done with it.  I still have it in my
working copy (of course), and have, prompted by your message, just now
resolved a daunting 57/76-line conflict with the changes between 1.106 and
1.108.  My version has one of the tainted `mapc' calls, if that matters;
given Stefan's trivial (dolist (x l) (f x)) I would surely have supplied
(mapc f l) myself.  (No offense meant to Stefan; that one alone was
trivial.)

Links to the original (er, the second) discussion:
April, largely superceded:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-04/msg01253.html
May: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-05/msg00084.html

I've attached an updated patch vs. current CVS; in it I have
optimistically tagged my two new defcustoms as new in 22.2.  Here's a stab
at a ChangeLog:

2007-06-08  Davis Herring  <address@hidden>

        * desktop.el (desktop-save-mode-off): New function.
        (desktop-base-lock-name, desktop-not-loaded-hook): New variables.
        (desktop-full-lock-name, desktop-file-modtime, desktop-owner)
        (desktop-claim-lock, desktop-release-lock): New functions.
        (desktop-kill): Tell `desktop-save' that this is the last save.
        Release the lock afterwards.
        (desktop-buffer-info): New function.
        (desktop-save): Use it.  Run `desktop-save-hook' where the doc
        says to.  Detect conflicts, and manage the lock.
        (desktop-read): Detect conflicts.  Manage the lock.

Davis

shipping.