Re: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:38:50 +0300

>> That is a good point.  Do people think we should swap them?
>
> Please don't.
>
> When I introduced the new (L,C) format, I looked at a number of other
> text editors, and they all have line number followed by column number.
> So that is the conventional sequence.
>
> Some examples  (line 123, column 45):
>
> VIM:      123,45
> Emacs 21: L123  C45
> Word:     Ln 123  Col 45
> Nedit:    Line 123   Col 45

I agree that there is no need to swap them.  The only problem with the
(L,C) format is that it's not immediately clear where is the line number
and where is the column number.  Note that other editors have a visual cue
like "Ln", "Line" and "Col" to indicate which is which.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/