Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable inElispmanualindex]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable inElispmanualindex]
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 01:01:11 +0300

>> It does as I can see.  Makeinfo adds a piece like below to every separate
>> HTML page:
>
>> <link title="Top" rel="start" href="index.html#Top">
>
> I see it uses "start" whereas you used "top" in your previous email.

There is some confusion with "start" and "top".  HTML3.2 defines "top" as

    rel="top"
        The link references the top of a hierarchy, e.g. the first
        or cover page in a collection.

whereas HTML4.01 replaces "top" with "start" and defines it as

    rel="start"
        Refers to the first document in a collection of documents.
        This link type tells search engines which document is considered
        by the author to be the starting point of the collection.

Makeinfo generates rel="start".  I think this is correct since this is
defined by the latest HTML specification.  However, as the title of the
"start" link it uses the text "Top".  I suppose that's to maintain
compatibility with Texinfo terminology where the first node is named "Top".

>> <link rel="prev"
>> href="Creating-and-Installing-Info-Files.html#Creating-and-Installing-Info-Files"
>>  title="Creating and Installing Info Files">
>> <link rel="next" href="Command-List.html#Command-List" title="Command List">
>> <link href="http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/"; rel="generator-home"
>> title="Texinfo Homepage">
>
> Good.  So it only lacks the `index' links.

Yes, but as I see it can refer to only one index node:

         The INDEX relationship identifies an index.

         When REL=INDEX, the target document is an index for the
         current document, or for the collection of documents of which
         the current document is a member.

         When REV=INDEX, the current document is an index. Additional
         REL/REV values may be used to further specify the relationship
         between the two ends of the link.

         If the hypertext link is specified with REL in a LINK element,
         an HTML user agent may present an icon in a tool bar.  An index
         may be presented as an HTML document which is organized and
         presented in a style reminiscent of a paper-based index.  An
         index may also be presented as a form-based query into a full-
         text search database.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/