Re: Patch for user-emacs-directory

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Patch for user-emacs-directory
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:08:44 -0400

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 21:26:17 -0600
>
> -     ((file-directory-p (convert-standard-filename "~/.emacs.d/"))
> -      (convert-standard-filename
> -       (expand-file-name "completions" "~/.emacs.d/")))
> +     ((file-directory-p user-emacs-directory)
> +      (expand-file-name "completions" user-emacs-directory))
>
> I'm happy to reword this, but can you explain how this change can
> cause failures?

convert-standard-filename has a non-trivial definition on more systems
than just MS-DOS.  I don't think it's right to remove it, because
doing so have a potential of letting invalid file names creep into
Emacs on those systems.

IOW, I think leaving convert-standard-filename is good engineering,
not something for which I have specific failure scenarios.  In
general, we should run _all_ file names hard-wired into Emacs through
this function.

(I apologize for saying ``quite a few'' where evidently there's only
one instance of removal; in my defence I can only say that a quick
reading of the patch did somehow seem to remove
convert-standard-filename in more instances.)