Re: Merging unicode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Merging unicode
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 23:55:24 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5/29/07, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I don't think there is any interlock between the 22.1 release and the
>> unicode-2 merge.
>
> I got the impression that people was refraining from doing large-scale
> changes to the trunk to facilitate testing patches in the trunk before
> moving them to the EMACS_22_BASE branch.
>
> But if I'm wrong, what is delaying the merge of the unicode branch?

Well, that the jury is somewhat out on the multi-tty branch.  I had
made some proposals with regard to environment variables, but if I am
going to do them myself, I will need at least one or two weekends.
Then there is the matter of non-existing Texinfo information for the
Elisp manual and also the Emacs manual.

Merging unicode2 first will cause synch headaches in the multitty
branch (larger than the other way round, presumably).  However, Károly
had already agreed he'd do the synch work for unicode-2 if that is
synched first.  And we really should not wait all too long with
multi-tty since the available manpower means that it would likely be a
bad idea to have extensive package updates (tramp, gnus, whatever)
before we have basically merged all the branches we want in.  But it
also does not make much sense to merge in multi-tty before we have
arrived at a variable/terminal/environment model that has either a
solid chance for being the final model (in which case we will have to
do changes to other stuff just once) or is minimally invasive (in
which case we can keep most current stuff and probably make decisions
about changes, if any, later).

We currently still have some bug fixes trundling in.  Applying them to
both EMACS_22_BASE and trunk is easier before the unicode-2 synch.

But on the other hand, Emacs 22.1 is in its final throws.  Synching
unicode-2 will make parallel updates of EMACS_22_BASE and trunk a bit
more inconvenient.  And maybe we just need that bit of inconvenience
to shoo Emacs 22.1 out the door.