Re: adding new modes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: adding new modes
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 20:01:23 +0900

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> What we need to evaluate in such cases is whether
>
> a) the mode works with Emacs 22+ sufficiently well
> b) has the functionality one would expect from some a standard mode
> c) has a current pace of change that does not make its inclusion into
> Emacs (which optimistically speaking won't get release updates more
> than twice a year) absurd
> d) is a language of sufficient interest for free software
>
> The last point is, in my opinion, the case for both Lua and Ruby.  I
> have no data or experience to judge the other points.

I'd say, for lua-mode.el:

a) I'm currently using lua-mode.el as distributed by debian, and haven't
   noticed any obvious problems (there are some compilation warnings
   which should probably be fixed up)

b) It does proper indentation and syntax highlighting, so I'd say yes

c) Doesn't seem too bad in this respect:  the last two releases were
   2006-12-08 and 2006-06-25, and it works pretty well already

d) Yes, definitely; it's used as an extension language by many projects

I can't say anything for ruby-mode with respect to (a)-(c), but I agree
about (d) -- ruby is certainly very popular, and is free software

-miles
--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space, to
have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less, than