Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:10:52 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:22:06 +0900
>
> > +(defun tar-file-name-handler (op &rest args)
> > +  "Helper function for `tar-extract'."
> > +  (or (eq op 'file-exists-p)
> > +      (let ((file-name-handler-alist nil))
> > +   (apply op args))))
>
> Is it ok to check only file-exists-p?  How about
> file-readable-p?

It only catches file-exists-p because that's what
find-buffer-file-type-coding-system tries.

> > Sorry, that patch was incomplete, and so did an imperfect job.  Please
> > use the one below.
>
> Does this new version have the following problem too?

I didn't try loading dos-w32.el again with the last patch because it
produces the correct results with the preloaded dos-w32.el.  In any
case, that seems to be a different problem (if it is indeed a
problem), see my other message in this thread.