Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:03:30 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:09:49 -0400
>
>     The latter is preloaded into Emacs on Windows, and if I visit a file
>     inside a tarball (after applying the patch below), plain text files
>     with Unix EOLs get latin-1-unix buffer-file-coding-system, instead of
>     the expected undecided-unix.  But if I manually load dos-w32.el and
>     visit the same file again, its buffer-file-coding-system is now
>     undecided-unix, as expected!
>
> What happens if you load the file and then use `byte-compile' to
> compile that function?  Does that fail?
>
> If so, what happens if you add some debugging setqs in the code of
> that function, and then use `byte-compile' to compile that function?
> Does that fail?  You could debug it in detail that way.
>
> It could also be useful to use M-x disassemble to verify that the
> bytecode correctly fits the Lisp code.

I think the problems I described were due to the fact that dos-w32.el
doesn't expect to be loaded twice.  For example, this line:

  (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "" 'find-buffer-file-type-coding-system)

if executed the second time, would add
find-buffer-file-type-coding-system to the alist _twice_, right?

In any case, the original patch was incomplete, and the last patch I
posted does the job without any problems.