Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:09:49 -0400

    I'd like to suggest an alternative change that is local to
    tar-mode.el, see below.  It mimics what arc-mode.el does.

Ok with me (especially since this is already tested in arc-mode).

    The latter is preloaded into Emacs on Windows, and if I visit a file
    inside a tarball (after applying the patch below), plain text files
    with Unix EOLs get latin-1-unix buffer-file-coding-system, instead of
    the expected undecided-unix.  But if I manually load dos-w32.el and
    visit the same file again, its buffer-file-coding-system is now
    undecided-unix, as expected!

What happens if you load the file and then use `byte-compile' to
compile that function?  Does that fail?

If so, what happens if you add some debugging setqs in the code of
that function, and then use `byte-compile' to compile that function?
Does that fail?  You could debug it in detail that way.

It could also be useful to use M-x disassemble to verify that the
bytecode correctly fits the Lisp code.