Re: package.el: bytecode portability across emacs versions

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: package.el: bytecode portability across emacs versions
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:01:48 +1000

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Debian's Elisp package framework socks boulders through straws.  Emacs
> is designed to have Elisp and elc files in the same directory.  That's
> how load-path orders can take effect.  Debian completely breaks this,
> as witnessed by calling M-x list-load-path-shadows RET.

emacs-goodies-el has recently taken to symlinking the source into the
per-flavour bytecomp directories.  It was motivated by wanting to
exclude selected files from some emacs versions (either because they're
already there, or because they don't run).  I don't think there's
anything fundamental about separate source/compiled, only like the
"streaker's excuse": it seemed like a good idea at the time.

(And yes, I've wrestled with load-path or find-function-source-path for
packages that don't make the .el's available in those already from
friendly browsing.  Very annoying.)