modify-syntax-entry and UTF8?

From: Geoffrey Alan Washburn
Subject: modify-syntax-entry and UTF8?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:24:41 -0400

As far as I can tell, modify-syntax-entry does not interact properly with UTF8 in the CVS snapshot of emacs that I am currently using. Is this the intended behavior and there is some other mechanism I should be using? Specifically I would like to do something like the following

(modify-syntax-entry ?〈 "(〉")
(modify-syntax-entry ?〉 ")〈")

Which is happily accepted but does not correctly interpret matching pairs of angle brackets in a buffer. I searched the documentation but could not seem to find information on how "char" parameters to modify-syntax-entry relate to Unicode characters.