Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 09:24:39 -0400

    Please take a look at how the XEmacs package system works.  It has a
    central repository.  It tends to distribute outdated or non-working
    code because the people maintaining the central server tend to be not
    the same creating the packages.

You previously explained that this is because making the XEmacs package
requires doing substantial work on the code.  We are moving to reduce
to zero the amount of "packaging" required.  All that would be necessary
is to install the new version in the standard repository.  Since this
is easy, people would do it often.  We could even let the maintainers
of the package itself do so.