address@hidden: hl-line-mode not activated although global-hl-line-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: hl-line-mode not activated although global-hl-line-mode is set]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 06:33:28 -0400

Could someone see if this bug still exists?

Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 23:18:52 +0200 (CEST)
From: Daniel Clemente <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software
Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers
do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the
address@hidden mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2007-03-11 on raven, modified by Debian
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu'
'--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr'
'--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
'--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
'--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=athena'
'--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2''
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

- --------

With this .emacs:
(tabbar-mode t)
(global-hl-line-mode 1)
(ido-mode t)

"emacs -nw" works, I write a little, and the current
line is highlited.
But I open "emacs" on X, and I see no highlight. I
must manually do M-x hl-line-mode, then it's activated
and works. An extra call deactivates it, and an extra
call activates it again.

- - The colors of the highlighting are correctly set,
and noticeable.
- - Any other combination of 2 of the 3 lines of the
.emacs makes the highlighting work.
- - During the tests I have eventually seen that just a
.emacs with "(global-hl-line-mode-1)" produces the
bug, but I can't reproduce it anymore. Maybe the
behaviour relates to the past executions or past
config files.
- - (global-hl-line-mode t)  , with t instead of 1,
makes no difference
- - The option which gets set after "customize-variable"
also produces the same result

That's all.

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about the GNU Project and its goals,
type C-h C-p.