Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 01:49:05 -0700 (PDT)

   I wish that were true, but most of the work of installing a package
   system is making everything _use_ it.

There are many people who are not necessarily emacs lisp hackers but
would be willing and able to prepare third party elisp packages from
existing sources.  I believe that the various free operating system
projects are able to find the resources for similar work for their
package management systems without draining the resources of the
hackers actually working on the development of the packages
themselves.

   I don't see how any code installed in Emacs could save you the need
   for that.

In my quick test of package.el, I was able to install and run a
package in 1/10th the time it would have taken to find, download and
install it manually.  For a package with dependencies on other
package libraries, the time/effort benefit would be even greater.

   Since just loading the files is not supposed to change Emacs
   functionality, I think the need for this cannot be avoided.

Having the package system install the file and setup autoloads in
.emacs will not itself change emacs functionality, but will save the
user a tremendous amount of tedious work.

Ryan