unicode-2 and multitty (was: html-mode demanding <html> a bit too tight)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: unicode-2 and multitty (was: html-mode demanding <html> a bit too tight)
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:13:27 +0200

>     FWIW, I will not contribute any further to Emacs development
>     until Emacs 22.1 has been officially released.
>
> I appreciate your past contributions, and I regret your departure.
> I hope you will be back some day.

This ominous remark makes little sense unless there is no intent of
actually releasing Emacs 22.1 in the foreseeable future.

So the question is what developers who don't want to be party to the
release farce are supposed to do if they don't want to let Emacs
development fall into obsolescence.

While the release is "imminent", letting HEAD and the release branch
diverge would likely be impolite.  So what work is there to be done?

The roadmap called more or less for merging the multitty branch and
the unicode-2 branch "after the release".  There is probably no
necessity in doing this kind of work in HEAD.  It should likely be
possible to already do this in unicode-2.  The disadvantage would be
that it will become somewhat more work to keep changes in HEAD
synchronized to unicode-2, but the multitty branch was supposed to be
confined to a rather small number of places.

Doing this now will work towards a timely release of Emacs 23.1, and
it would appear that there is little sense in freezing the Emacs 23.1
process just because 22.1 is stalling.

So for those who have gotten tired investing energy and focus into the
release of 22.1 (and there remains little enough in the way of
_possibilities_ to invest them there), maybe it would be a possibility
to switch to the unicode-2 branch, and also work on the merge of
multitty.

I know that there are a few prepacked "Emacs-23" variants around:
would it be acceptable to the maintainers of those if the unicode-2
branch were to go through a period of relative instability caused by
the merge of multitty?

Would it be better etiquette to create or use a different mailing list
than this one for discussing such work on the unicode-2 branch?

Thanks,

--
David Kastrup