guided tour suggestions

From: Karl Berry
Subject: guided tour suggestions
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:03:34 -0500

We received this report on webmasters (thanks Daniel) ...

From: address@hidden

I am reading the newly-installed Emacs guided tour[1] and
taking notes as I go along.

First, this seems wrong (it's the other way around):

    C-v  Previous screen        M-v  Next screen

Second, this seems like an overstatement (Perl has quite a
lot of regexp constructs):

    Emacs regexps support a superset of Perl's regexp constructs.

As just one example, Emacs doesn't support negative lookahead.

Third, here,

    M-x calc    An RPN calculator.

maybe it is better to mention `M-x calculator' instead?

Fourth, here,

    C-x (          Start recording macro
    C-x )          Stop recording macro
    C-x e          Play back macro once
    C-x e e e...   Play back macro multiple times

maybe add this item:

    M-0 C-x e      Play back macro over and over until it fails

Fifth, this

    M-x shell      New shell buffer
    C-u M-x shell  New shell buffer with specified name

should probably look like this:

    M-x shell      Switch to shell buffer
    C-u M-x shell  Make new shell buffer

Sixth, this also seems like an overstatement:

   Emacs ships with a major mode for pretty much every
   widely used programming language (and then some).

Perhaps say it like this instead:

   Emacs ships with major modes for many widely used
   programming languages, markup languages, configuration
   file formats, etc.  In almost all cases, major modes for
   unsupported formats are available as extension packages.
   (Take a look at <a href="http://www.emacswiki.org/";>EmacsWiki</a>.)

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>

[1]  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/