Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:48:34 +0300

> From: Henrik Enberg <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:38:32 +0200 (CEST)
>

> >       * Gnus BABYL support will break.  Since the new Rmail no longer knows
> >     how to decode BABYL, neither will Gnus.  This is unfortunate, but
> >     more or less unavoidable, given the way Rmail is designed.
> >
> > Gnus should covert Babyl files into mailbox files.  (So should Rmail,
> > I guess.)  The unrmail command, plus the old code for reading Babyl files,
> > ought to suffice for this.
>
> This is what the mbox branch does.  When you read in a file, it will
> check the format, and if is BABYL, it automatically converts it to
> mailbox with unrmail.  It should be pretty easy for Gnus to do something
> similar.

Then I think there's no real issue with BABYL support in this branch.

The only other controversy seems to be the encoding stuff.  I don't
really understand Richard's objections to what people suggested (i.e.,
store the messages undecoded).  I think this is the way to go; it was
discussed several times in the past, and the conclusion was always the
same: that decoding should happen at display time.