Re: html-mode demanding <html> a bit too tight

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: html-mode demanding <html> a bit too tight
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:22:58 +0200

>     I think if you install a ~150 line patch that affects how modes are
>     selected, another pretest will be needed.
>
> Please do not exaggerate.  There are about 52 lines of code changes,
> bu most of them are just indentation changes.  Real changes are about
> 20 lines.
>
> But I agree we should make one more pretest.
>
> This problem really bothers people, so we should not leave it unfixed.

Richard, Emacs contains _thousands_ of files and functions and modes.
Of _course_ some detail will _always_ bother somebody.

We are trying to roll a _release_ here.  Doing changes in a central
area affecting all modes, in order to appease a small minority of
users having a problem with details of a single mode is WRONG, WRONG,
WRONG!!! in this phase of development.

We will _never_ _ever_ be able to release Emacs with this sort of
mixed-up priorities at work.

I am going to a conference today where I'll be presenting AUCTeX and
the "upcoming" Emacs 22 again, like I did for _several_ years.  And I
will be doing the same for years to come, earning a laughing stock
life time award if the release process does not get a grip.

You may be basking in the illusion that this increases the quality of
the released Emacs.  I severely doubt that.  It just stops the
_qualified_ developers from making more important reports in order to
not hold up the release, and hope that the trickling of irrelevant
reports will at one point of time cease for long enough to let Emacs
22 escape from your hands and give it to the public.