Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:17:14 +0200 (CEST)

> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:52:09 +0200
> From: Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden>
>
> >  * At the moment, it is slightly worse than current Rmail when it comes
> >    to non-ascii support.
>
> Last time I asked, I was told that I wouldn't be able to read mail
> arriving in different codings, such as I normally receive.  Is that the
> case?

Well, you can read them, but you'll have to put up with the occasional
\NNN escape showing up in the buffer.  It is usable as a mailreader
though.

This is a pretty high-priority item to fix though, me being Swedish and
all.  I haven't worked on rmail much this year due to other commitments,
but I hope to get active again soonish.

> >                         One of the major points of moving to the mbox
> >    format is to be compatible with external tools, and that rules out
> >    storing mailboxes in emacs-mule form, which old Rmail does.  I'm
> >    still not sure what the best approach here would be here.  UTF-8?
> >    Raw text?
>
> I think it should be stored as other tools do, which I suppose it means
> just as they arrive from the wire.
>
> >  * Gnus BABYL support will break.  Since the new Rmail no longer knows
> >    how to decode BABYL, neither will Gnus.  This is unfortunate, but
> >    more or less unavoidable, given the way Rmail is designed.
>
> If Rmail decodes babyl and writes it back in mbox format, maybe Gnus
> could do the same.

I guess, but that will require changes to Gnus, so a heads-up to the
Gnus developers is probably in order before installing the changes.

> >  * The mime support is _very_ basic, but I guess that's not really a
> >    change from old Rmail.
>
> I use the very old rmime.el.  Its most important feature is that it
> decodes base64 and quoted-printable for me.  Additionally, it collapses
> attachments to a single line each and allows me to save them on disk by
> hitting C-cC-c on that line.  Such a very basic support would be enough
> for a start.

I doubt rmime.el will work out the box, but some basic mime code has
been committed (in rmailmm.el) and It should be fairly easy to get QP
and base64 support working.  I haven't really been working on that part
of the code though, so I can't say for sure.