Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:31:23 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> I hardly ever look at images or movies.  Indeed, I know so little that
> was confused by the similarity between
>
>     ;;; thumbs.el --- Thumbnails previewer for images files
>     ;;; thumbnails.el --- use dired to browse and manipulate your images

It's mainly about this ambiguous situation in the manual of Emacs.

As far as I can tell, there will likely be a strong recommendation of
tumme aka thumbnails aka dired-image (or whatever 8-)) in the manual.
And thumbs will remain as an option for people who long for the
freedom of looking for alternatives.  (At least for the viewing part
of tumme, less so for the image managing part.)

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany