Re: Pretest schedule

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Pretest schedule
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:40:44 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> IMO, the remaining bug in FOR-RELEASE---support for multiline
> nicknames in RCIRC---should not hold the release; it concerns a fringe
> feature (using Bitlbee, an IRC-to-IM gateway) of a non-essential
> package (RCIRC), and no fix seems readily available.

Actually, rcirc+bitlbee+multi-line-messages work just fine, as long as
you use separate rcirc buffers for each user/conversation (instead of
multiplexing the "channel" buffer) -- and since this usage is closer to
conventional IM usage (AIM clients etc), I suspect most users of
rcirc+bitlbee do this anyway (I certainly do).

Indeed my objections to Nic's patch have to do with not screwing up this
usage.  I suspect the fix is probably simple enough, like simply using
Nic's change only in "channel" buffers, but for this release it's
probably good enough to document the problem and mention the easy
workaround (use separate conversation buffers); I'm not sure where to
document it though...

-Miles

--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]