Re: cvs emacs and (system-name)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cvs emacs and (system-name)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:25:13 -0400

Stefan> But it's kind of difficult for Emacs to guess which of the
Stefan> three names you put there is "my machine name".

> My recollection is that traditionally the first host name is
> considered the canonical one.  'man 5 hosts' backs me up on this :)

I believe the problem is that it is common to see entries in arbitrary order
in there.  Especially the fully-qualified entry is not necessarily first
(although it should).

> I don't have any other entry in /etc/hosts.  My machine has no fixed
> address and is not in a domain.  This, I believe, is extremely common
> among laptop users.

And in that case it's indeed rather unimportant which name Emacs chooses.

> Perhaps if only "localhost" and "localhost.localdomain" are found,
> Emacs could fall back to gethostname(2) or uname(2).  With glibc the
> latter appears to try to return the domain name as well.

What I was suggesting (tho implicitly) is to do that whenever the IP address
is 127.*.*.*.

        Stefan