RE: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 08:11:53 -0700

> alias thumbnails=tumme
> alias image-viewer=thumbs
> alias image-manager=tumme

I'm not (yet) very familiar with Tumme - ignore the following suggestion if
it's inappropriate.

If Tumme is intended to be or to become a general editor/browser/viewer of
the images in one or more directories, then that sounds Dired-like. In that
case, since Emacs users are already used to Dired, how about using "dired"
in the name: `dired-images' or `dired-img'?

My guess would be that the "thumbnail" aspect is not the most important one
for this feature - nearly all image editors/browsers/viewers use thumbnail
images. What is important for naming is that this is an
editor/browser/viewer of the images contained in a directory.

If I'm right about what Tumme does, I wonder if it shouldn't just be
integrated with Dired at some point (after the release)?

In Windows Explorer, for instance (the closest thing MS Windows has to
Dired), showing thumbnail images is just a display option - like Dired's
sorting or its display/hiding of certain fields. When images are present in
a directory, Dired could offer the additional key bindings etc. that provide
the features of Tumme.

Again, I'm not familiar with Tumme, so ignore this if it is off-base.