Re: Adding a line to the splash screen with the guided tour's URL

From: Jason Spiro
Subject: Re: Adding a line to the splash screen with the guided tour's URL
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:27:01 -0400

2007/4/13, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
>> Would it be practical to at least add a line of plain text to the
>> splash screen: "The illustrated guided tour is at
>> http://stuff.mit.edu/iap/emacs/";?  I can send a patch to implement
>> this if you like.

> Please, no.  Emacs 22 might be in use for years; there's no guarantee
> that URL will be up for an equivalent period of time.

We could probably put a link to "online documentation and tutorials" that
points to http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs and then add a link to
stuff.mit.edu there.

That's fair, but IMHO the guided tour is the best introduction to
Emacs available on the entire Internet and so there should be a line
advertising it on the splash screen, just as there is a line
advertising the, um, keyboard tutorial.  :)  This will encourage
people to look at it, not just at the built-in tutorial.  As Philippe
wrote at [1], "I need effectiveness, *not* mere efficiency.  I was
scared by the official emacs tutorial, which starts spitting out
bunches of keyboard sequences without apparent meaning."  A line on
the splash screen will encourage people to look at the guided tour,
not the C-h t tutorial, first.

Cheers,
Jason

[1]
http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.emacs/browse_thread/thread/47fd064346cc8afc#cbaedb766f4c3171

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I provide software development and training services to clients worldwide.