Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Emacs manual mentioning thumbs mode but not tumme
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:55:53 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > Maybe we should remove it, since Tumme seems to be a superior
>  > tool for the same job.
>
> I don't think it does do the same job, but then I don't use either.  It
> would be nice if someone who does use both could confirm if this was true
> or not before talking about removing it.

Sorry, I only used either three or four times.  From these somewhat
shallow impressions I'd also conclude that tumme is the superior tool
and a superset of thumbs' abilities.  I'm going to use tumme for image
viewing.  But superiority is not the only point, I think.

The point for retaining thumbs is that one can't please everybody with
one approach.  From a user's perspective I think offering choice
outstrips every other disadvantage concerning maintainability,
consistency, etc.  There might be users who dislike tumme's name and
"unnecessary overhead" and ...

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm