Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Locale Dependent Downcasing in smtpmail]
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 11:03:25 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:47:35 -0400
>>
>>     ??? I'm probably missing something: what other characters would be
>>     changed by using standard-case-table?  AFAIK, it is set up to change
>>     case only for letters from A to Z; see casetab.c:init_casetab_once.
>>     The letters A to Z appear in many Latin-x character sets, so A to Z
>>     does not imply US ASCII.
>>
>> During normal execution, standard-case-table handles all the alphabets
>> that have a case distinction.  If ascii-case-table is a copy made
>> after standard-case-table is initialized, it will handle them all too.
>
> Sorry, I still don't understand.  casetab.c explicitly sets up
> standard-case-table to convert only A-Z.  Could you please point out a
> character outside this range whose case would be changed by using
> standard-case-table, e.g. in the Latin-1 alphabet?

To be precise, characters.el later adds Latin and other characters to
this standard case table.  The Lisp variable ascii-case-table makes a
copy of the standard case table before all this work is done.

(BTW, Emacs' default case table is internally named Vascii_case_table
in casetab.c.  This variable name is misleading because this case
table gets updated with non-ascii information with impunity.  So we
might want to rename this C variable to something more appropriate
(after the release).)