Re: Indentation of LISP code

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Indentation of LISP code
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 11:12:56 -0400

>> > When we put ;;; the indent of the comment must not change.
>> And who said so?
>> AFAIK, the only rule about ";;;" is that they should be "indented" to
>> column 0, which in the present case is impossible.

> Hoops ! I do not know. Will somebody explain me how do you want these
> comments to show in future? (example and explanations with all line
> commented and also ;;; comment at the end of the line).

The rule when doing a rewrite generally goes as follows:
- when in doubt, preserve the old behavior.
And in most cases you also have to apply this other rules:
- even in the absence of a doubt, make sure the user can still get the
  old behavior.
Oh, and here's another important one:
- any change you introduce without even thinking about it, will invariably
  lead to objections.

        Stefan