Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:38:24 -0400

>     No, the bug in the use of encoded-kbd-mode.

> Maybe they are both bugs.

I don't think so: encoded-kbd-mode was specifically written to handle
terminal input (i.e. sequences of bytes), so it fulfills this role fine.
It's just that the w32 code abuses it by passing it non-terminal events
(i.e. non-bytes).

>     The decoding should be
>     done elsewhere, as is done in X11.

> Perhaps it should be, and perhaps after the release we will change
> that.  But that has no effect on what to do now.  Right now, this
> is done with encoded-kbd-mode, and we are not planning to change that now.

Why should we add hacks to encoded-kbd-mode to work around a bug in the w32
support, rather than fix this w32 code?  Especially since encoded-kbd-mode
is used on every platform, so we would risk introducing bugs for users on
favored platforms like GNU/Linux for the sake of users on w32???

Fixing it right shouldn't be hard, really.  No harder than changing
encoded-kbd-mode.  We just need someone to do it.

If we can't find this someone, then we should probably leave this bug.
After all it's been there in one form or another since Emacs-20.

        Stefan