Re: Bold font hides end of previous character

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:01:30 +0200

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
On 3/26/07, LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do you have ClearType on?

Yes

Does it happen also with ClearType off? (I think you could've tried
this without me asking it ;-)

Ehum, no. I thought there was no use in trying that, but no, it does not happen with ClearType off.

So now I have some reasons having ClearType on and at least one having it off ;-|

but it still may be a problem with the KVM switch again.

Do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch?

Yes.

Just checked on another display and I do not see that problem
there. (However later is w2k and the one where I see the
problem is XP.)

So you didn't really check on "another display", but another computer
setup... And AFAIK, W2K does not support ClearType.

Yes, a totally different setup. No ClearType, no KVM, w2k.

Does it happen with the stock CVS Emacs too? Five months ago I
committed a patch from Ben North that could be related (Ben's patch
definitely fixed a problem with bold faces in ClearType-enabled
Windows, BTW).

Yes, it happens with the stock CVS Emacs too. (I always - tbh nearly - with the stock CVS Emacs first. Even if I see no reason that there should be any difference.)

2006-10-27  Ben North  <address@hidden>  (tiny change)

       * w32term.c (x_draw_glyph_string_foreground): Set background mode
       to TRANSPARENT before using overstrike to simulate bold faces.

       * xfaces.c (best_matching_font): Fix logic to decide whether to
       use overstriking to simulate bold-face (it was reversed).

CVS Emacs from 2007-03-21.