Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 23:52:52 -0400

    Here, I think what he meant by "(meta ?<encoded-?>)" is a
    code something like this ("\351" part is of 4 chars):

    (global-set-key [(meta ?\351)] ...)

    Then, it works only for w32.  Another way is to visit .emacs
    as unibyte file, put "coding: raw-text;" tag, write as below
    ("\351" part is of 1 eight-bit char), and save it as
    raw-text.

    (global-set-key [(meta ?\351)] ...)

    But, this also works only for w32.

    Both depends on that the event ?\M-\351 is generated, but X
    generates ?\M-é.

What I have in mind is writing (meta ?é).

The idea is to put the non-ASCII character in .emacs, without
modifiers.  If the user is using a method that handles non-modified
characters correctly, this should extend the method to handle modified
characters as well.

Isn't that valid?