address@hidden: set-face-attribute doesn't set default for new frames]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: set-face-attribute doesn't set default for new frames]
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:08:51 -0400

Would someone please DTRT, then ack?

From: Rob Walker <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:27:10 +0000

Hi,

set-face-attribute doesn't set the default for new frames with todays CVS.
Instead, the value used in custom-set-faces is used instead even though I
specify nil for the frame (all current frames and future frames) in
set-face-attribute.

I have custom vars set up for various faces and then some machine specific
overrides (using set-face-attribute) for when the normal face doesn't look
very good.  I've managed to reduce the steps needed to reproduce the bug to
the following:

1. Make .emacs contain only the following:

    (custom-set-faces
     ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
     '(variable-pitch ((t (:weight normal :height 1.0 :width normal :family
"Bitstream Vera Sans"))))
     )

    ; set the machine specific face
    (set-face-attribute 'variable-pitch nil :family "DejaVu Sans")

2. Start emacs

3. Type M-x describe-face RET variable-pitch RET
   The face family will be shown as "DejaVu Sans"

4. Create a new frame with M-x make-frame RET

5. Type M-x describe-face RET variable-pitch RET
   The face family will be incorrectly shown as "Bitstream Vera Sans"
   The variable-pitch face will have the incorrect "Bitstream Vera Sans"
   family on all other frames.

This is different to the behaviour with my last build of emacs (2006-12-01)
which showed the correct behaviour of keeping "DejaVu Sans" on all frames.

Regards

Rob Walker

(Please ensure I am CC'd in any replies as I'm not subscribed to the
emacs-pretest-bug list)

In GNU Emacs 22.0.96.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
of 2007-03-20 on arm04507-etch
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
configured using `configure
'--prefix=/local_home/rwalker/local/emacs-20070320' '--with-gtk''

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: nil
value of $LC_COLLATE: C
value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
value of $LC_TIME: nil
value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8
default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x d e s c r i b e - f a c e <return> v a r i a b
l e - p i t c h <return> M-x m a k e - f r a m e <return>
<switch-frame> M-x d e s c r i b e - f r a <backspace>
<backspace> a c e <return> v a r i a b l e - p i t

Recent messages:
(emacs)
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p. [2 times]
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.   [2 times]