Re: getpwent, user-full-name and utf-8

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: getpwent, user-full-name and utf-8
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:01:03 +0100

David Kastrup skrev:
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:58:08 +0100

I propose that we bite the bullet, assume a fixed external system
encoding of utf-8 for such strings, and recode accordingly.
I'd rather assume that usernames are encoded in the locale's
encoding, not necessarily in UTF-8.

That assumes that every user operates under the same locale, and that
this locale agrees with the locale of the system files.  In particular
on multi-user machines, that is not realistic.

Since users themselves can set their full name, I'd think the user locale would be a good choice.

It might be reasonable to add a new variable to hold the system locale
which should not depend on the user locale.  However, it is somewhat
late for this.  Clearly, assuming emacs-mule encoding for the system,
as it now appears the case, is always wrong.

For current systems, assuming utf-8 will likely be correct most of the
time, at least.

UTF-8 is much better than emacs-mule. If it is not too much work, I'd suggest checking if the name is valid UTF-8, and if it isn't, use the user locale.

        Jan D.