Re: input-method completion is annoying.

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: input-method completion is annoying.
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:29:56 +0900

Sorry for the late response.

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> Input method completion is sometimes like a PITA because it just
> happens when you need it least.

> For example, I use BBDB with Gnus, and a postfix input-method. Let's
> say I want to search for Akim's mail contact.

> I just type Aki and have a <TAB> (BBDB completion expected). Heck!
> quail (quite unreadable) completion:
> | Possible completion and corresponding characters are:
> |  i: -
> |    i^:(1/1) 1.î
> |      i^^:(1/1) 1.i^
> |    i":(1/1) 1.ï
> |      i"":(1/1) 1.i"
> `------------------------

> Apart from the fact that this completion infos are kind of useless
> (the echo area already prints the useful infos), the binding is
> annoying.

I agree, but...

> I just propose to change this key to M-# (don't ask me why this key,
> it's only a free key that can't be used by mistake):

you change has bad effect of "ESC-" not echoed when you type
it after, for instance, '\' key.  I don't remember well, but
perhaps, it is the reason of binding with
quail-other-command.  For the moment, I don't know how to
fix it.  In addtion, as the release is close, I think
changing user interface is not good.  I recorded this issue
in my todo list.

By the way,

> Second little bug, the completion buffer isn't read-only. How about:

It seems that such a change is good and safe.  I've just
installed a different change to do the same thing.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden