Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 01:14:50 -0400

    At first, encoded-kbd-mode is designed to be used in the
    case that Emacs is invoked with -nw,

I am not sure what that statement means.  Does it mean that

   encoded-kbd-mode was designed originally to be used in -nw

or does it mean that

   encoded-kbd-mode is intended originally to be used in -nw

Which one?

    And, it's in my todo list to abolish encoded-kbd-mode and
    implement keyboard-coding-system decoder in C for long, but
    unfortunately I still don't have a time to do that.

That might be a good thing, but since you can't do it now,
can we fix encoded-kbd-mode to handle modifiers correctly?
It probably is not very hard.

    > > We could recommend that people write (meta ?<encoded-?>).
    > > That would eliminate this particular problem, right?

    > No.  It would make it work on those systems which have the bug (e.g. w32
    > right now), but would not work on systems where read-key-sequence
correctly
    > decodes such a key-combination into ?\M-é.

I do not follow that argument.  If users write (meta ?<encoded-?>),
why would that cause any problem anywhere?

    > I don't think it'll really be reliable, but we can definitely provide
    > guidelines and hints.

    One guideline is not to use encoded-kbd-mode on window
    system.

What should be used instead?  If there is nothing that works,
I suggest that people who care about Windows support either fix this
now, or implement something else now.