Re: Pretest?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Pretest?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:07:26 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3/14/07, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> However, we should still come up with a suitable strategy
>> concerning what we should do when we are in a minibuffer for other
>> reasons (such as M-x).
>
> [...]
>
>> With enable-recursive-minibuffers to t, however, would then cause the
>> message "Cannot switch buffers in minibuffer window".
>
> Curious. I have enable-recursive-minibuffers set to t, but I would
> still expect emacsclient to interrupt M-x, etc.

What is "curious" about that?  I proposed what I consider a pretty
logical and consistent way of dealing with emacsclient calls, and then
mentioned a drawback of this for a certain setting.

And now you call it curious that what I mention as a drawback does not
strike you as the best behavior?

Curious.

Anyway: people are ready to forward their expectations all around.
The question is how we can tie the various expectations into some
rules and behavior that will be acceptable to most people under most
settings.

If we can find a simple rule set working for all cases reasonably
well, this would be optimal.

I proposed a simple rule set and mentioned that I considered some
special case of it undesirable.

Can you can come up with a good rule set (with as few exceptions as
possible, since we want to avoid introducing lots of special cases)
that is better-behaved?  If so, please do.

--
David Kastrup