Re: My Emacs unicode 2 crash again when I do some *Replace String (M-%)*

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: My Emacs unicode 2 crash again when I do some *Replace String (M-%)*, I give the debug informations under gdb in the attachments.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:24:57 +0200

> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:54:09 +0100
>
> I actually know no option with similarly devastating effects on
> debugging productivity: if registers and values and stuff get
> optimized away, that is basically a nuisance, but gdb tells you what
> happens (at least with newer debug info formats, which value is where
> is traced rather well).

If the optimized-away values are function call arguments, the fact
that GDB tells me they were optimized away doesn't help.  Inability to
produce a usable backtrace is a very serious roadblock for debugging,
not just some nuisance.

I have no idea whether there are options to prevent that, maybe not.
This is what I meant when I said we didn't know what to write.

> How much more wasted man-hours do you want, Eli, before "knowing" it
> might be a good idea to use this by default?

Why ask me?  I didn't suggest to put anything neither in DEBUG nor in
aclocal.  I will ask GCC developers to add a feature to turn off the
more problematic optimizations, and that's all.  And if you want to
add something somewhere, you don't need my blessing to install changes
in CVS.  (Maybe just not before the release, as configury is known to
be quite sensitive.)