Re: My Emacs unicode 2 crash again when I do some *Replace String (M-%)*

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: My Emacs unicode 2 crash again when I do some *Replace String (M-%)*, I give the debug informations under gdb in the attachments.
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:50:42 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> If you use GCC, you are forced to debug and test with -O0, and then
> ship a program compiled with -O2 which you didn't debug and test.

But that isn't true.  It sometimes takes extra work to debug because of
optimization, but it's not some kind of impossible burden.  Where the
best tradeoff lies is very much an individual thing.

> I couldn't convince GCC developers that debuggability is much more
> important in the vast majority of cases than the extra 5%-7%
> performance gains one gets by using all the tweaks -O2 does that
> defeat debugging.  Sigh.

Convince them to do what?  They give you a bazillion knobs which you can
use to tune the tradeoffs made to your liking.  You can argue about the
defaults, but -O2 _isn't the default_, and it's not even the default
with -O.  What would you have them change?

-Miles
--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Gandhi