Re: hideshow.el: permanent local variables

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: hideshow.el: permanent local variables
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 10:49:37 -0500

>> I don't know what's going on hideshow, but is there some reason one
>> might want these settings to survive a change in major mode?
>> (It does seem unlikely.)

> Maybe something to do with mmm-mode?  I don't know how this works in
> detail.

I don't think it's got to do with mmm-mode (it might even predate it).
More likely it was just an arbitrary decision.

I believe hs-minor-mode should not be permanent.  Just like
outline-minor-mode.

        Stefan

PS: Note, that if you remove the permanent-local property from these
variables, then you have to add a change-major-mode-hook to turn off the
minor-mode explicitly (so that it erases the overlays).