Re: Gnu Emacs logo (by an emacs noob)

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs logo (by an emacs noob)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:22:04 +0100

Raffael Mancini wrote:
Hi,

This is my first post to this mailing list so please be gentle  :) .

Well, at least you are brave. If you however sleep well any time sooon again after entering this, than you are stupid, not brave.

Having said that: Welcome ;-)

Well the point I´m trying to make is that if GNU emacs had a better
appearance it would also have a broader acceptance among newbies and
skeptics.

Last year there was a little contest among different icons. The icons that entered the contest and the winner you can find here:

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/NewIcons.html

The winning icons are now part of Emacs 22 (in late beta test now - we hope).

something I would approve. The emacs icon included in the cvs version
(etc/images/icons/*.png) is even better because it is very simple. Will
it become the de facto GNU Emacs logo?

Yes, see above.

If yes, I would suggest to use it as often as possible, for example also
as splash screen. Otherwise one could start a logo competition to get a
new and fresh look for emacs which after all is a modern editor.

Some people liked that idea that much that the competition was run last year.

To sum everything up, I think the first impression of emacs is very
important (and currently often very negative) so we should invest more
energy in it.

I would be glad to help in this process and would like to thank all the
developers for their great work.

Please use the beta test version of Emacs 22 and report bugs (if you find any). On EmacsWiki you can find precompiled binaries for some platforms. Instructions for starting compiling yourself are also there (and the more accurate authoritative details are in the Emacs sources, see the README files).