Re: Defining keys in derived modes

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Defining keys in derived modes
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:58:31 +0100

Johan Bockgård wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

(define-derived-mode nxhtml-part-mode nxhtml-mode "nXhtmlPart" [...]

(defvar nxhtml-part-mode-map [...]

I would expect it to also contain the definition of C-c t, but it
does not. Should it behave this way?

 -- Special Form: defvar symbol [value [doc-string]]
    [...]
     If SYMBOL is void and VALUE is specified, `defvar' evaluates it
     and sets SYMBOL to the result.  But if SYMBOL already has a value
     (i.e., it is not void), VALUE is not even evaluated, and SYMBOL's
     value remains unchanged.

Thanks, yes, but I am a bit confused. There is something else going on too, it works defining in that order now, after restarting Emacs. Maybe something I do not understand in the compilation order? (I do not claim to understand anything there at all, I am just referring to my vague picture of it ;-)