Re: Echoing of keys and process I/O

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: Re: Echoing of keys and process I/O
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:46:29 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>
>> When Emacs is communicating with a process, the display of multi-
>> character keys in the echo area is disturbed. I was wondering why this
>> is so, and if there is anything that can be done about it.
>>
>> For example, in shell mode:
>>
>>     while true; do echo; sleep .5; done
>>
>> Now I can't see keystrokes in the echo area unless I set
>> echo-keystrokes to <= 0.5.
>
> I can't reproduce this on
>
>   GNU Emacs 22.0.94.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.6)

I have experimented some more with different versions of Emacs,
including one built from the latest CVS sources (i686-pc-linux-gnu),
and I have now found one way to avoid this echo area blocking: All is
well while I'm using Emacs 22 in a virtual terminal.

I still see the bug when I'm in X, even with an Emacs without X
support running in an xterm. It's the same on several GNU/Linux
systems, so I don't think I have misconfigured something.