Re: --with-gtk as default?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: --with-gtk as default?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:23:56 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it
> not be better to make --with-gtk the default immediately _after_ the release
> so
> it gets a thorough testing first?

That's a good plan.

The risk is that there are older (or incomplete) versions of GTK out
there which don't work well with Emacs, so making --with-gtk the
default would make it harder to get a working Emacs on such systems.

Personally, I had a lot of problems trying to collect a working set of
GTK libraries when I tried to update my Redhat 9.0 to be able to build
--with-gtk.  I don't recall whether it succeeded or I gave up on it,
but I haven't tried to build --with-gtk since, and probably wont.