Text property 'intangible and fontification

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Text property 'intangible and fontification
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:05:23 +0100

I think I noticed a problem with nxml-mode (not part of Emacs) and fontification when an overlay has the property 'intangible. I am not sure about what happens, but I believe that when such an overlay is over text that nxml-mode wants to fontify then it fails and restarts again. Emacs then grabs 99% of the CPU.

nxml-mode does its own fontification since it anyway parses the buffer contents. What should fontification code do when there are some overlays like this? Or text properties. Should it let bind `inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t, or? What does other fontification code do in Emacs?